HIWU Assistant Legal Counsel
Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit (HIWU)
Position Focus: The Assistant Legal Counsel is a key contributor to the Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit’s (HIWU) legal team, a division of Drug Free Sport International/International Doping Tests & Management (DFSI-IDTM).The person in this role will operate in a fast-paced work environment, mitigate risk, and effectively communicate with team members and relevant constituents to achieve effective and first-rate results. Contributions include working with HIWU General Counsel to ensure compliance with the law, handle legal contracts and other documentation, and provide advice on legal and regulatory issues.
Summary of Qualifications: To successfully perform this role, the individual must be a critical thinker, effective communicator, organized, attentive to details, self-directed and have sound business knowledge. The individual must uphold the company’s core values and mission, demonstrate integrity at the highest degree, and have a high desire to serve the company and its relevant constituents. Essential requirements include:
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school and a member in good standing of a state bar association.
- Minimum of four years of general corporate or litigation experience with an established law firm.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Knowledge of statutes, rules and regulations pertaining to relevant businesses.
- Highly credible, ethical and persuasive interpersonal skills.
- Proficient understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality.
- Proficient in MS Office and computer systems.
- Experience in and around the equine industry is a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
- Passing a pre-employment screening is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice to ensure compliance with different laws and regulations.
- Draft and review contracts and other legal documents.
- Assess potential risks, create strategies, and devise operations and compliance plans.
- Assist HIWU General Counsel with day-to-day tasks, including conducting research, creating and executing legal strategies, and handling corporate governance oversight.
- Collaborate with HIWU General Counsel in preparation of anti-doping cases and in connection with litigation matters.
- Partner with applicable departments to assist with results management.
- Maintain knowledge of scientific, technological and legal developments.
- Liaise with outside counsel, as needed.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
|Description||Critical Success Factors|
|Planning and Organizational Development||Ability to efficiently organize and prioritize multiple tasks. Effective at planning ahead, yet flexible with unexpected changes. Listens well and orientates quickly.||Self-confident and self-starting; focused, resourceful, and adaptable; makes timely decisions; at ease working within deadlines; delivers objectives with meticulous attention to detail; displays critical thinking abilities.|
|Effective Communication||Proficient in all forms of communication. Ability to connect with colleagues, relevant constituents, consultants and vendors. Create positive relationships at the organizational, contractor and vendor levels.||Passionate about daily interaction with relevant constituents and colleagues; listens well, interprets accurately, and responds appropriately; chooses the right way to say the right things.|
|Service Orientation||Has a propensity for serving the needs of relevant constituents.||Attentive and decisive; follows up and follows through; first focus is to enhance business relationships.|
|Integrity and Reliability||Takes personal responsibility for job performance; strict adherence to company and other relevant policies and procedures. Maintains high level of professionalism and confidentiality.||Positively responds to direction and constructive feedback; exhibits integrity and trustworthiness; makes informed decisions based on what is best for the company.|
|Motivation for Achievement||Strong initiative; displays energy and enthusiasm in approaching the job. Generates ideas for improvement; initiates opportunities and recommends innovations. Goes above requirements; continually working toward exceeding expectations.||Stays on target for 90-day and annual goals, with motivation to exceed objectives. Contributes to company success through continuous improvement. Seeks additional responsibilities and grows within the position.|
All external applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Andrayana Estes. All requested materials must be submitted for consideration. This position is desired to be filled as soon as possible and application materials will be reviewed on an on-gong basis until filled.
DFSI-IDTM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.