HIWU Legal Specialist
Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit (HIWU)
Position Focus: The Legal Specialist is a dynamic and self-starting key member of the Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit’s (HIWU) legal team, a division of Drug Free Sport International/international Doping Tests & Management (DFSI-IDTM). The person in this role will operate in a fast-paced work environment by assisting the HIWU General Counsel and Assistant Legal Counsel in all aspects of HIWU’s legal function, including contract review and management, results management, and investigations and litigation support.
Summary of Qualifications: To successfully perform this role, the individual must be a critical thinker, an effective communicator, organized and self-directed. The individual must uphold the company’s core values and mission, demonstrate integrity at the highest degree, and have a high desire to serve the company and its relevant constituents. Essential requirements include:
- Minimum of three years of professional success within the legal services space.
- Minimum education level of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational and research skills.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Highly credible, ethical and persuasive interpersonal skills.
- Proficient understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality.
- Proficient in MS Office and computer systems.
- Experience in and around the equine industry is a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
- Passing a pre-employment screening is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for support of HIWU General Counsel and Assistant Legal Counsel with all aspects of HIWU’s legal function.
- Manage HIWU contracts and agreements.
- Identify and monitor HIWU compliance with the HISA Act and other legal guidelines, internal polices and quality standards.
- Aid with the prosecution of anti-doping cases.
- Administration of HIWU’s results management program.
- Support HIWU General Counsel and Assistant Legal Counsel in connection with litigation matters.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed.
- Perform other relevant duties, as assigned.
|Description||Critical Success Factors|
|Ability to efficiently organize and prioritize multiple tasks. Effective at planning ahead, yet flexible with unexpected changes. Listens well and orientates quickly.||Self-confident and self-starting; focused, resourceful, and adaptable; makes timely decisions; at ease working within deadlines; delivers objectives with meticulous attention to detail; displays critical thinking abilities.|
|Proficient in all forms of communication. Ability to connect with colleagues, relevant constituents, consultants and vendors. Create positive relationships at the organizational, contractor and vendor levels.||Passionate about daily interaction with relevant constituents and colleagues; listens well, interprets accurately, and responds appropriately; chooses the right way to say the right things.|
|Has a propensity for serving the needs of relevant constituents.||Attentive and decisive; follows up and follows through; first focus is to enhance business relationships.|
|Takes personal responsibility for job performance; strict adherence to company and other relevant policies and procedures. Maintains high level of professionalism and confidentiality.||Positively responds to direction and constructive feedback; exhibits integrity and trustworthiness; makes informed decisions based on what is best for the company.|
|Strong initiative; displays energy and enthusiasm in approaching the job. Generates ideas for improvement; initiates opportunities and recommends innovations. Goes above requirements; continually working toward exceeding expectations.||Stays on target for 90-day and annual goals, with motivation to exceed objectives. Contributes to company success through continuous improvement. Seeks additional responsibilities and grows within the position.|
All external applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Andrayana Estes. All requested materials must be submitted for consideration. This position is desired to be filled as soon as possible and application materials will be reviewed on an on-gong basis until filled.
DFSI-IDTM does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.