Independent Contractor HIWU Investigator (Multiple States)
Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit (HIWU)
Position Focus: The Independent Contractor HIWU Investigator will operate in a fast-paced environment, investigate activities involving the legal policies and procedures for the Anti-Doping and Medication Control (ADMC) Program, and effectively communicate with HIWU staff and relevant constituents to achieve first-class program management. Contributions include conducting investigations under the ADMC Program and collaborating with applicable constituencies. This independent contractor role is part-time and will be facilitated by the HIWU Director of Investigative Operations.
Summary of Qualifications: To successfully perform this role, the individual must be a critical thinker, effective communicator, organized, attentive to details, self-directed, and have sound investigative skills and knowledge. The individual must demonstrate integrity at the highest degree. Essential requirements include:
- 6+ years of investigative experience.
- Extensive interview experience.
- Experience testifying in criminal and/or administrative hearings.
- Strong understanding of the rules of evidence collection and chain of custody.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Ability to interpret and apply laws and regulations.
- Highly credible, ethical, and persuasive interpersonal skills.
- Adept understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and computer systems.
- Experience in and around the equine industry is a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
- Successful completion of background check and professional references check.
- Manage a case load of assigned investigations associated with thoroughbred racetracks.
- Conduct regular walk-through of barn and stable areas of assigned racetracks.
- Liaise and communicate with covered persons in stable areas of racetrack.
- Conduct HIWU-authorized searches (e.g., of horse barns and vehicles).
- Interview individuals concerning possible ADMC Program violations.
- Maintain accurate case files.
- Write investigative summary reports.
- Testify in ADMC Program
- Collaborate with various stakeholders (e.g., racetrack administration, state racing commissions, HIWU and contracted investigative staff, and HIWU personnel).
- Serve HISA-issued subpoenas.
- Able to travel nationally on short notice.
- Work irregular hours as needed (i.e., evenings and weekends).
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Interested independent contractors must submit a letter of interest, resume, and names of three professional references to Shawn Loehr, Director of Investigative Operations. All requested materials must be submitted for consideration. Application materials will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until filled.
Drug Free Sport, LLC does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.