Changes to NCAA Policies and Bylaws You Need to Know
Policy changes within the NCAA often lead to confusion or the sharing of misinformation that may put athletes and collegiate sport programs at risk. Questions regarding new changes or interpretations of current bylaws are often directed to Drug Free Sport International and NCAA member services. This session aims to clarify common questions and new policy changes set forth by the NCAA. Through direct discussion with LaGwyn Durden, Director of the NCAA’s Sport Science Institute, attendees will receive accurate and up-to-date information they can apply to their sports programs right away.
At the end of this presentation, attendees will be better able to:
- Prepare NCAA athletes for changes to banned drug classes that now align with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
- Interpret the new policy regarding the application of omega-3 supplementation for NCAA athletes.
- Evaluate supplement labels and ingredients to distinguish between permissible versus impermissible products per NCAA Bylaw 16.5.2 Permissible – Nutritional Supplements.
- Recognize the realities of vaping and the impact on collegiate athletes.
- Explain the NCAA’s stance on cannabidiol (CBD) products in the marketplace and use in sport.
Webinar Speaker: LaGwyn Durden, MS, ATC, LAT
Director of the NCAA Sport Science Institute, Sports Medicine
Target Audience: ATs, RDs, CSCS, and other sports medicine or athlete support staff
Drug Free Sport International (BOC AP# P8729) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 1.5 Category A hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the session.
Drug Free Sport (Accredited Provider 99D4E11) is approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration to provide continuing education to Registered Dietitians. This program is eligible for a maximum of 1.5 CPEUs. Activity# 148496
Suggested Performance Indicators: 4.1.3, 4.1.5, 10.4.5
Suggested Learning Needs Codes: 3100, 4060